Monday, December 19, 2011

Cake, Wh(eat) it!

I'm baking again. This time healthier, whole wheat cakes with less oil. I never thought wheat cakes could be so yummy. All thanks to a friend who baked one of these and invited me over. 

Here's what you'll need for a plain cake:
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup hot water
2 tsp essence of your choice
(I mixed a little coffee in the hot water as essence)

In a bowl mix all the ingredients except water well. Slowly add the water to make the batter smooth. The water gives a spongy effect. Pour batter in a greased tin. Bake for 30 mins in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celsius. I'm a great believer of the microwave and have been using the 'convection' setting for all my baking. It comes out as tasty and 'good looking' as any other homemade oven cake. 







Congratulations cake

Also, am not a very 'plain' person! I love chocolate and coffee and nuts and raisins and all the paraphernalia, esp in my cakes. 

Flavours that i've tried- Rum and raisin, Coffee Chocolate and Banana with raisins. They've all been big hits. Especially the 'Rum and Raisin'. Twice i made it for parties and both times it was polished off with left overs packed home for bachelors! There's a story behind the Banana-raisin cake. 

So, i had these various dabbas that i had to return to various friends and didn't want to send them back empty. That afternoon as soon as Aanya slept, i took a chance with the whole wheat banana cake. Only overripe bananas(ones that have fruit flies hovering above them) can be used for banana cakes. Also, people always prefer to use walnuts with bananas; since i didn't have any, i decided to go in for raisins, which i have in plenty!  It was one of my 'lucky bake' days. One that went off without a hitch. The cake rose, cooked in time, sides were off, browned on top, smelt great and even came off the tin in a one go! MMW, my all time favourite guinea pig, approved of it, so pieces were cut and delightfully placed in the various dabbas, topped with chocolate sauce... if eyes could drool, i would've been crying!

It was the first time Aanya ate cake. She aggressively demanded more. My day was made... and it didn't hurt my conscience either. It's definitely a wholesome and healthier option for her. Next on the cards, Carrot and Raisin cake, and no, i'm not obsessed about raisins... they're just my favourite dry fruit!!!

1 comment:

  1. yummmyyyy. Btw this is a gud wheat recipe. I shall try this next. I've been baking here too. will soon put up pics.

    ReplyDelete