Monday, December 12, 2011

The 'In' and 'Out' Laws

So in 2006 when i got married i was all of 22, unbelievable by a large group today, but true! I was the first one in my group of friends to tie the knot, and tie it jumpily-happily! Although I married into a Bengali Brahmin household, same as mine, it was like a completely different cross cultural exchange type feeling. Marrying the man is just a part of the story; the family is what you actually get in to, so I was told and so I realized in the years that followed!



But…
I thank my lucky stars. I have been blessed to have married in to such a caring, loving and exceptional family. So much so that when I hear stories of scary/ demanding/ obstinate/ ‘ghunghat odho’ type in-laws I say a silent little thank you prayer. They welcomed me with open arms and a warm heart, gave me complete freedom and always encouraged me to bring out the best.



I never even move a finger when am at M 278. Tea in bed, many course meals, chauffer driven (mostly sister in law driven) car rides, umpteen shopping and mall sprees, fun filled movie outings (except for the latest one, but that’s another story), the various dinners and get-togethers, gossip sessions, the list is endless… All in all, I always cherish each and every holiday spent at Noida.


It’s not always rosy though, we do have our share of issues and tears, but then, if we didn’t, we wouldn’t be normal! In fact with my in laws, am the ‘out’ law; coz I’m the one out. I’m the one visiting once in a while, trying to be the long distance good bou aka bahu. But I guess, distances make the heart grow fonder (corny but fact!).


Her Thammu’s ‘Kikomoni’ and Tishi’s ‘Kole Bear’, Aanya’s brought changes in the entire setup. Ma-in-law has become ‘Thammu’ and Sister-in-law ‘Tishi’. And they’re both crazy about her. When she was born they bought the entire Mothercare, well, almost! And the plan is, when Tishi gets married, she and Aanya will wear matching clothes!


Between the ‘in’ and ‘out’ laws, my man in white is the support structure. For him, I met and became part of the Purkayasthas!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Diya. Read your posts. Very impressive writings. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww!!! Yay!!! Thank you!!! Hugs!!! It's really well written Diya, it's so cool that you're writing again, and even cooler that you can find time between the 3,333 Aanu and household related things you have to do! Supermommy! And yes, distance makes the heart grow fonder, see Bhai and I go without fighting for so long now.... (touch wood)!!
    -Love, Tini

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much garima...
    i also love to read ur posts :)

    ReplyDelete