Friday, December 16, 2011

My 'Before', 'After' & 'Thereafter'

Weight is the taboo word. My indulgent sins from the last five years are catching up fast, only to make me realise that it better not get too late. Wait up weight... i'm gonna lose you!

With college friends
                                                 

Oct 2004
In my defence, I was not always fat. Ya, in school i was nicknamed fatty and golu and fatso and one of my friends still calls me 'bhains', but i'd passed all that and lost lots for my engagement and wedding. I give full credit to my braces, kathak classes, french classes and of course college routine for my weight loss during those days. Also a certain person called 'Mummy' kept a close eye!
Mumbai 2006

And then Mumbai happened, soon after marriage. With Mumbai came freedom, partying, routine-less days and nights, eating out more often than cooking at home, ordering in more often than cooking at home and the beginning of a spoilt lifestyle. Again, in my defence, if i didn't do it then, when would I? 

In the next two years, when the blouses stopped fitting, i got them altered; and the jeans got tight, i bought new ones; in fact i delighted myself to a completely new wardrobe! Repeating to myself that am bored of my old clothes. The problem was not the eating. Its my sheer laziness to get up early and go for a walk/jog/gym routine. And the bigger problem was that i knew the problem!

Vizag 2009
In Vizag though, i became very conscientious. I went for aerobics and yoga classes in the mornings and regular walks in the evenings. My body even toned up to some extent, which gave me an excuse to eat. Around that time, i even gave up eating sweets and aerated drinks for six months. (Sweets are my weakness. I have 28 sweet teeth!!!)

Back to Mumbai, but this time, Aanya was to happen. Suddenly all the talks of weight loss stopped and focus was on weight gain. And my worry was, i hope i'm not putting on all the weight, i hope the baby's getting some part of it! I grew larger than a balloon, put on almost twenty kilos... and even after Aanya was out, i looked five months pregnant!!!

  
8 months pregnant
Gorging on junk
Eight months on, with continuous doses from mummy dear, i'm getting extremely conscious about the issue. And to add to my woes, MMW has gone and lost FIFTEEN KILOS in one month!!! He's thinner than he was during our wedding... Sorry, but, i can't maintain the exercise routine he used to. 

With 5 month old Aanya

There is hope... Is there?
Slowly am getting back to some kind of shape and i'm not saying this just to console myself! Mothers of one year olds tell me "Just wait till your daughter starts walking, you'll automatically lose weight". Honestly, will it be worth it taking a chance???

4 comments:

  1. You have a knack to say the most dreadful things in a manner so superb, not even the best of writers can!! Love this piece. Run now, don't wait for Aanya to turn one, your mum is an excellent example, isn't she?? Sending some grit and active routine wishes ur way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw diyu I just realized I have been reading and commenting on each of your posts without waiting for it to actually be displayed on the post....To make up for all tht here's telling you it is superb u've resumed. Your writing's fresh and a delight to read! Will make sure the silliness isnt repeated here on... ;) Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ~P~
    Thanks so much for the lovely wishes and encouragement!!!... but am not able to view ur profile and can't guess who u r.... pls let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete