Tuesday, December 20, 2011

On this date...

Eight months back i brought her to the world
Her wail was my first experience of her
Tears ran down my cheeks... "my baby is here"

Two months later
She smiled at me, the knowing smile... 
Tears ran down my cheeks... "her smile is safe forever"

Within the next two months
She cooed and gurgled, knowing it was me
Tears ran down my cheeks... "it's just the beginning"

***


The enthu mummy that i am, i got Aanya ears pierced when she was not even four months old.  Took her to a jewellery store and while MMW held her, the goldsmith used a pin and pierced one ear. I was too excited and even managed to take a video of the 'event'. She let out a short wail. The second piercing was slightly more painful, but the crying stopped almost as soon as i took her in my arms. 

She looked adorable with those tiny gold dots on. I couldn't stop staring at my lil doll with earrings! 

A month later we'd gone shopping in Delhi; on return i found one earring missing. That same night i changed the dot to ring. She was extremely fidgety. With great difficulty, between Ma, Tini and I, we managed to get the rings on. 

Few days back, one of those rings went missing. The entire morning my maid and i searched frantically for the missing ring. No luck. She even told me to chant godji's name and look, while she did the same. It was quite a scene. But still no luck. 

Anyway, the ear pierce closed and i had to take Aanya back to the jeweller. This time i was alone. And the poor girl screamed and howled and bawled. Like the type when they forget to  breathe for a second or two. Scary! My lil baby was in too much pain. She clung on tight and slept off in the auto on way back home. And for the first time in so many months i felt her pain. On the outside i was strong, but my heart weeped a bit. I promised myself never to let this happen again. 

***

She's hungry, she cries
She's sleepy, she cries
She crawls and trips, she cries
Holds on to the table/chair, bangs her head, she cries
I close the main door, she cries
I say a stern 'no', she cries

By now i'm accustomed to her crying... but that day was different!

2 comments:

  1. when they cant word out their pain.. it is very painful to see your lil one cry.. u feel like doing anything in the world make them smile again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. U're a great mum and Aanya knows. Take heart in the fact shez a strong girl too.
    I like the way you've etched the first few couplets. You've expressed happiness, contentment n anxiety (respectively)in those few lines and they do explain every mother's life cycle. Well said!

    Sending lots of love ur way.

    ReplyDelete